[Fedora-packaging] %makeinstall - must not or should not use it?

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Sun Sep 10 14:26:04 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-09-10 at 14:39 +0530, Parag N(पराग़) wrote:
> hi,
> On 8/21/06, Toshio Kuratomi <toshio at tiki-lounge.com> wrote:

> > > +1
> >
> > With my +1, that's six.
> >

> So can i say in other words that if applications built using say GTK
> application built using glade which automatically creates Makefiles
> must use always
> make install DESTDIR=%{buildroot}
> and not %makeinstall

If "make install DESTDIR=%{buildroot}" or "make install DESTDIR=
$RPM_BUILD_ROOT" (depending on your preference) works, then you MUST use
it. Only in those cases where it does not work can you then try %
makeinstall.

~spot
--
Tom "spot" Callaway || Red Hat || Fedora || Aurora || GPG ID: 93054260

"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. We must remember always
that accusation is not proof and that conviction depends upon evidence
and due process of law. We will not walk in fear, one of another. We
will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason, if we dig deep in
our history and our doctrine, and remember that we are not descended
from fearful men -- not from men who feared to write, to speak, to
associate and to defend causes that were, for the moment, unpopular."
-- Edward R. Murrow, March 9, 1954