[Fedora-packaging] ReviewGuidelines: What are proper permissions?

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Tue Sep 19 23:29:57 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-09-20 at 00:37 +0200, Till Maas wrote:
> Hiyas,
>
> ReviewGuidelines say:
> MUST: Permissions on files must be set properly. Executables should be set
> with executable permissions, for example.
>
> I just noticed that there are some files with permissions 0444 on my fc5
> system installed, for example manpages:
>
> -r--r--r-- 1 root root  24410 15. Feb 2006  cdrecord.1.gz
> -r--r--r-- 1 root root   1229 11. Feb 2006  dos2unix.1.gz
> -r--r--r-- 1 root root   1790 11. Feb 2006  hesinfo.1.gz
>
> Are 0444 proper permission bits for manpages / non-executable files?

Well, I'd think anyone should be able to read them, no one should really
ever need to write to them, and they darned well better not be
executable.

Seems sane to me.

~spot
--
Tom "spot" Callaway || Red Hat || Fedora || Aurora || GPG ID: 93054260

"We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty. We must remember always
that accusation is not proof and that conviction depends upon evidence
and due process of law. We will not walk in fear, one of another. We
will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason, if we dig deep in
our history and our doctrine, and remember that we are not descended
from fearful men -- not from men who feared to write, to speak, to
associate and to defend causes that were, for the moment, unpopular."
-- Edward R. Murrow, March 9, 1954