[Fedora-packaging] Re: -devel arch dependencies

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Thu Apr 12 12:52:00 UTC 2007

Panu Matilainen wrote :

> I don't see why it couldn't be done in packaging with something like
> "Provides: %{name}.%{_arch} = %{version}-%{release}" in the main package
> and "Requires: %{name}.%{_arch} = %{version}-%{release}" in the -devel
> package.. or some similar manual construct.
>
> Whether requiring yet more manual cruft to be added to almost each and
> every package is desirable or feasible is a whole another question :)

<sarcasm>
Hmmmm... I can't seem to remember why it is that we bloat some archs
with that "multilib" hack in the first place... oh, yeah, the flash
browser plugin!

The only downsides being wasted disk space, wasted yum processing time,
wasted bandwidth and missing documentations and translations for people
trying to clean things up.
</sarcasm>

Well... err... sorry for the flamebait... /me runs

Matthias, still annoyed at "yum install gdb" trying to pull in almost an
entire "compat" 32bit system... yeah, "yum install gdb.x86_64" :-p

(this said, on a quite simple FC6 x86_64 install on which I've done
"yum remove glibc.i686" post-install, gnome-terminal crashes
in some /usr/lib64/gconv/ library, which I suspect has something to do
with multilib and rpm removing translations... but even after nearly
two hours, I still couldn't figure out where the problem lies... glibc,
some libgnome*... dunno...)

Fedora Core release 6 (Zod) - Linux kernel 2.6.20-1.2943.fc6
Load : 0.23 0.21 0.18