[Fedora-packaging] Re: -devel arch dependencies

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Thu Apr 12 15:24:23 UTC 2007

On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 10:59:11AM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> > yum install firefox.i386 ?
> > With the default being to match "bestarch" if none is given.
> > Okay, what am I missing? :)
> "Why am I installing this older arch on my system?"
> "What's an 'arch'?"
> "Why can't fedora just work?"
> "Why do I have to mess with all this stuff just to see web pages?"

Anaconda could run with bestarch=0 to cover this.

Hmmm, actually, is firefox really the only case we care about?

Warren's "firefox-32" kludge says in the spec file "Unfortunately, we cannot
have a Requires line that explicitly means /usr/lib/ 32bit firefox." But
using "Requires: /usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.3/firefox-bin" works for me. That's
a bit annoying because of the version number -- either the 32-bit package
would have to provide a unique, non-versioned file [*], or the firefox-32
package would have to be updated simultaneously with each firefox release.

But having that requires line in there makes it so if I yum install
the x86_64 firefox-32, it pulls in firefox.i386....

This all seems so easy I *must* be missing something. :)

* other than "/etc/gre.d/gre.conf", which is too kludgy even for me.