[Fedora-packaging] Re: -devel arch dependencies

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Thu Apr 12 18:33:10 UTC 2007

Nicolas Mailhot wrote :

> Le Jeu 12 avril 2007 17:07, Matthew Miller a écrit :
> > On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 09:57:44AM -0500, Tom spot Callaway wrote:
> >> I doubt that we have any statistics on people willingly using multilib,
> >> but I know I got it on my x86_64 machine and I sure as hell didn't want
> >> it for anything besides firefox.
> >
> > +1,000,000. :)
>
> I'm full 64bit on my box precisely because flash was not worth the pain of
> dealing with multilib

The only computer where I have left multilib packages installed is my
main workstation, to get 32bit firefox, but in my case too it's the
only thing I wanted... that's the first issue.

The second issue is yum's default behaviour of installing all available
archs for the requested package, which annoys me quite a lot. Today
alone I had to re-run yum quite a few times after wanting to install
some devel packages I needed to phpize some PHP modules... no, I don't
want the 32bit devel package! ;-)

Oh, silly question, but : When installing both firefox packages, is the
32bit version run by default!? If so, how come, and is it the same for
all other packages (I seem to have quite a few installed as both 32 and
64 bit and I'd prefer to be running the native versions) or does
firefox already have some kind of special treatment?

Matthias

Fedora Core release 6 (Zod) - Linux kernel 2.6.20-1.2943.fc6
Load : 0.17 0.18 0.18