[Fedora-packaging] Using of date in snapshot versions

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 16:57:48 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-04-13 at 09:28 +0200, Till Maas wrote:
> On Do April 12 2007, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
>
> > The date must still be in there.  Some packages have used a format
> > like 20070412svn1234, which is acceptable although not strictly listed
> > in the naming guidelines as one of the possibilities.  (Which is
> > something that probably should be in the guidelines.)
>
> I have a question about the date, in the guidelines it is written:
> | The date in reference is the date that the checkout was taken.
>
> So when I take a snapshot of revision 123 of a svn repository with the current
> revision 151 and the commit of revision 123 was a week ago, then the alphatag
> has to be:
>
> 20070413svn123?
>
> Imho it would make more sence to use the date of the commit of the revision.
>
> Also with respect to git/hg, it would make the checkout better identifiable
> when one would use:
>
> 20070413gitABCDEF
>
> with ABCDEF beeing the last six (or any other number of) characters of the
> sha1 hash of the revision.

To be logical about date (I won't defend the use of date here, just if
it is being used) you could checkout by date:
  svn co -r '{2007-04-13}'

and then you can check which revid svn has given it with svn info if you
want to include the revid as part of the release tag.

Or we could amend the guidelines to say date of commit.  The guidelines
actually mean:
date-which-I-can-tell-the-revision-control-system-so-I-can-get-the-same-checkout-you-did

which is date of checkout when you checkout HEAD.

-Toshio