[Fedora-packaging] [Fwd: Re: [CMake] cmake does not set execute bit on shared libraries]

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Fri Apr 6 21:53:46 UTC 2007

On Friday 06 April 2007, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-04-06 at 13:13 -0600, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> > Some interesting information about the shared library execute bit issue.
> >
> > Why is it that we require the execute bit?

I'd be very interested in learning this too.  It was also briefly discussed in
a recent packaging committee meeting, with no real conclusion:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/IRCLog20070306

> Roland,
>
> Do you know why we only eu-strip libraries if they have the execute bit
> set? As the cmake folks pointed out, this is the opposite of Debian's
> policy (never set the libraries executable).

Just to clarify, you mean /usr/lib/rpm/redhat/brp-strip?

BTW, kernel modules get stripped only if they're executable as well at end
of %install, that one should be an easy one to rectify even if execute bits
for shared libs are useful.

Oh, and ldd says "warning: you do not have execution permission for ..." for
whatever non-executable is passed to it.

Anyone aware of anything else?