[Fedora-packaging] Re: -devel arch dependencies

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Thu Apr 12 13:22:00 UTC 2007

Axel Thimm wrote :

> On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 02:52:00PM +0200, Matthias Saou wrote:
> > (this said, on a quite simple FC6 x86_64 install on which I've done
> > "yum remove glibc.i686" post-install, gnome-terminal crashes
> > in some /usr/lib64/gconv/ library, which I suspect has something to do
> > with multilib and rpm removing translations... but even after nearly
> > two hours, I still couldn't figure out where the problem lies... glibc,
> > some libgnome*... dunno...)
>
> Try rpm -Va 2>&1 | grep missing

Done that, waaaaaaaayyyyy too many docs and translations gone. I forced
a reinstall of the packages I thought could be the cause (i.e. glibc*,
libgnome, gtk2/glib2 etc.) but without any apparent success.

Anyway, my point was that from my POV multilib is ugly (I think we're
all aware of that and all agree...), and that I still don't like the
fact that it's forced upon all users by default (this is where opinions
are much more mixed).

Arch dependencies isn't something we would have to worry about if we
weren't doing all of this ugly mixing of archs on single systems ;-)

Matthias

Fedora Core release 6 (Zod) - Linux kernel 2.6.20-1.2943.fc6
Load : 0.40 0.25 0.20