[Fedora-packaging] Re: -devel arch dependencies

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Thu Apr 12 19:09:47 UTC 2007

Matthew Miller wrote :

> On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 08:33:10PM +0200, Matthias Saou wrote:
> > Oh, silly question, but : When installing both firefox packages, is the
> > 32bit version run by default!? If so, how come, and is it the same for
> > all other packages (I seem to have quite a few installed as both 32 and
> > 64 bit and I'd prefer to be running the native versions) or does
> > firefox already have some kind of special treatment?
>
> 64 by default. Install "firefox-32" from extras to get an icon that runs the
> 32-bit version.

Ok, then the current situation doesn't make much sense to me since it
still requires some "manual work", i.e. either :
- Install that firefox-32 package
(and/or)
- Remove the x86_64 firefox package

I did the latter, but IIRC it is preventing me from installing some
apps that are only available in 64bit and require the gecko engine
which still hasn't been split out.

Anyway, in the end my vote would be to change yum's behaviour from
"install all available archs of the latest version" to "install best
available arch of the latest version" when no arch is specified, and
not have anaconda install any compat 32bit packages by default.

As a side note, this is something I have always found quite annoying
too : Any explicit package requirement from within a package also
"triggers" the installation of all available archs (which is actually
coherent with the current behavior, but annoying nevertheless).
Example : If your package explicitly "Requires: curl" although it only
really requires libcurl.so.3, which rpm also added automatically,
you'll end up with curl.i386 and dragging in all of its dependencies.
Without the explicit requirement, only curl.x86_64 would have been
necessary.

Matthias

Fedora Core release 6 (Zod) - Linux kernel 2.6.20-1.2943.fc6
Load : 0.17 0.16 0.18