[Fedora-packaging] Re: -devel arch dependencies

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Thu Apr 12 19:14:15 UTC 2007

On Thursday 12 April 2007, Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 03:29:09PM +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
>
> > I don't see why it couldn't be done in packaging with something like
> > "Provides: %{name}.%{_arch} = %{version}-%{release}" in the main package
> > and "Requires: %{name}.%{_arch} = %{version}-%{release}" in the -devel
> > package.. or some similar manual construct.
>
> Because ... see your own answer below :)
>
> > Whether requiring yet more manual cruft to be added to almost each and
> > every package is desirable or feasible is a whole another question :)
>
> Indeed, if we want to solve this it would have to be some solution
> that can leave the specfiles at peace.

Making rpmbuild autogenerate the Provides would probably be pretty easy.  For
the requires, it'd be pretty much a matter of adding the .$arch to the
dependencies that are already explicitly listed in specfiles.

By the way, %{_arch} is not the thing to use for this, %{_target_cpu} would be
closer but not quite there either; dunno if a suitable variable actually
exists.  Think eg. building a package for i686 that has a dependency on
something of the same arch which needs to be added explicitly in the
specfile - i386, i486, i586 and/or i686 of that dependency would likely work.