[Fedora-packaging] Using of date in snapshot versions

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Thu Apr 12 19:59:54 UTC 2007

Hiyas,

the naming guidelines say that one should use the date do describe the
snapshot:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/NamingGuidelines#head-cfd71146dbb6f00cec9fe3623ea619f843394837

| If a snapshot package is considered a "pre-release package", you should
| follow the guidelines listed in Pre-Release Packages, and use an %{alphatag}
| in the following format:
| YYYYMMDDcvs

Maybe this is useful for cvs, because there is no better way to describe a
snapshot. But e.g. with svn, which uses a global revision number, it is
possible to use a unique id for the snapshot, where it is not uncertain which
changes are included. For this reason I suggest to change the guideline, so
that it suggests better identification strings for a snapshot, when it is
avaiable, e.g.

123svn

for a snapshot of an svn repository at revision 123.

Regards,
Till