[Fedora-packaging] Using of date in snapshot versions

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Fri Apr 13 07:28:54 UTC 2007

On Do April 12 2007, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> The date must still be in there.  Some packages have used a format
> like 20070412svn1234, which is acceptable although not strictly listed
> in the naming guidelines as one of the possibilities.  (Which is
> something that probably should be in the guidelines.)

I have a question about the date, in the guidelines it is written:
| The date in reference is the date that the checkout was taken.

So when I take a snapshot of revision 123 of a svn repository with the current
revision 151 and the commit of revision 123 was a week ago, then the alphatag
has to be:

20070413svn123?

Imho it would make more sence to use the date of the commit of the revision.

Also with respect to git/hg, it would make the checkout better identifiable
when one would use:

20070413gitABCDEF

with ABCDEF beeing the last six (or any other number of) characters of the
sha1 hash of the revision.

Regards,
Till