[Fedora-packaging] Using of date in snapshot versions

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Fri Apr 13 13:00:35 UTC 2007

On Friday 13 April 2007 03:28:54 Till Maas wrote:
> I have a question about the date, in the guidelines it is written:
> | The date in reference is the date that the checkout was taken.
>
> So when I take a snapshot of revision 123 of a svn repository with the
> current revision 151 and the commit of revision 123 was a week ago, then
> the alphatag has to be:
>
> 20070413svn123?
>
> Imho it would make more sence to use the date of the commit of the
> revision.
>
> Also with respect to git/hg, it would make the checkout better identifiable
> when one would use:
>
> 20070413gitABCDEF
>
> with ABCDEF beeing the last six (or any other number of) characters of the
> sha1 hash of the revision.

But the date of the checkin to who's branch, or is it the date of the checkin
to the local person's clone, or the date after the clone was merged into the
master repo or...  I really think that Date here is arbitrary and half
thought out.  See my other post regarding a draft.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora