[Fedora-packaging] satic libs package naming

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Fri Apr 20 11:35:48 UTC 2007

On Fri, Apr 20, 2007 at 01:27:18PM +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> bugzilla it against rpmlint, if you like to.

Ok, that's what I'll do.

> > Another reason may be the efficiency, as as demonstrated by Enrico
> > numbers on tiny daemons, linking statically may lead to much more
> > efficient executables.
> What some people call efficiency, I call rending a distro unmaintainable
> and pimping "Linux" - To me, it's not much different from pimping a car
> by installing an oxygen bottle to "make it faster".

It may not be at the distro level. But I think that we shouldn't prevent
users to link statically their apps when it makes them faster.

> Well, your needs, i.e. "cross-distro binaries", are far from being
> exotic. Many people before you went into trap you still seem to be
> trapped into, before you, so be it :-)

I really don't understand what trap you are speaking about. I statically
commpile a model on a computer then copy it over to other computers
(which may have different shared libraries or even not the libraries at
all) and run it (with different parameters of course) using a simple
script to drive all the runs. What problem is there with that?

--
Pat