[Fedora-packaging] tex related packages names

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Thu Aug 30 15:29:51 UTC 2007

On Thu, Aug 30, 2007 at 01:53:14PM +0100, Jonathan Underwood wrote:
> On 30/08/2007, Patrice Dumas <pertusus at free.fr> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I propose tex packages to be named
> > tex-something
> > instead of
> > tetex-something
> >
> > I also think that it is not worth renaming existing packages with
> > tetex-, at least for now, maybe later, but instead have them
> > Provides:   tex-something = %{version}-%{release}
>
> Please see:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/TeXNaming
>
> which I put together a number of months ago (and mentioned on list) -
> feel free to edit and add suggestions.

I remembered something but I was too lazy to search ;-)

I think that there are 2 distinct issues that are raised in your
proposal

* tex related package names
* virtual requires/provides

I think that they should be discussed apart. The second issue could be
solved simply without the packaging commitee ruling, but by asking
Jindrich to add the virtual provide. Then the use of this provide could
be advocated in the guidelines.

I suggest discussing the virtual provides in one of the texlive
submissions.

For the tex related package names, my personnal point of view would be
not to distinguish tex and latex add-ons (at least in the name). I have
a slight preference for prepending tex- to all the tex/latex related
packages.

--
Pat