[Fedora-packaging] Best way of patching sources for changed libbeagle?

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Mon Dec 10 16:35:40 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 13:56 +0100, Sebastian Vahl wrote:
> I need some help with the new libbeagle-0.3.0. This one is listed in
> pkg-config with "libbeagle-1.0". The configure script of kerry (and also
> brasero and yelp) are explicit checking for "libbeagle-0.0".
> Upstream hasn't catched up the new beagle, yet, so I have to figure out what
> is the best way of preparing my package (kerry) for the new libbeagle
> version. And here I need some help because I'm not very familiar with
> configure scripts. :)
>
> My attempt here is to avoid a patch and change the libbeagle version with sed:

Seems fine. This is one of my pet-peeves with pkgconfig, by embedding a
"ABI/API/Arbitrary random version" in the identifier name, it makes
looking for the related values much much more difficult.

Instead of just asking pkgconfig for libgtkhtml's libs/headers, I've got
to check for libgtkhtml-3.14, then libgtkhtml-3.12, libgtkhtml-3.10,
libgtkhtml-3.08, libgtkhtml-3.06, libgtkhtml-3.04, and so on, ad
infinitum.

To be fair, this isn't pkgconfig's fault, it's GNOME's fault, as it
seems to be the one doing this. Evolution recently dropped this
practice, one can only hope that the rest of GNOME follows.

~spot