[Fedora-packaging] Heads up: tomcat6 package into Fedora 9

Fernando Nasser fnasser at redhat.com
Wed Dec 12 19:51:08 UTC 2007

Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> FN> I'd like to keep the tomcat5 package around as well, as some
> FN> people may want to use the old version still.  The packages have
> FN> versioned names so they can be installed in parallel.  Would that
> FN> be OK?
>
> I don't see why that would be a problem, although I'm not really sure
> of the implications of how the parallel installations would interact
> with initscripts.  I guess since tomcat 5 uses "tomcat5" for its
> initscript there wouldn't be any conflict, but is there any point to
> running both versions at the same time?

The applications may need changes to run in a different version.  Also
there are some pre-packaged things that one does not know how to
re-config but still wants to run.  Last but not least, some bits are
BuildRequires and tomcat6 has a different level of the APIs.  I wanted
to give people at least a release or two to adapt any dependnecies.

> Also, I can't help but point out that we still really need someone
> from (one of) the Java team(s) to help us write some Java guidelines.
> Without guidelines, review tickets for Java packages have been piling
> up, and it's taken me a lot of time just to get answers to basic
> questions that have cropped up during a package review.

I ti snot the guidelines that are missing.  Several Java-related stuff
have been discussed over the last couple of years.  Sometimes long and
painful threads: ask Jess or Spot.

What we need is people to do the reviews.  We only get volunteers when
someone is interested in a package (two cases recently).  But nobody
seems to have the cycle and we cannot review the packages we own
ourselves.  We need to try and get together some folks for a concentrate
effort like we did once.

Regards,
Fernando