[Fedora-packaging] Re: Exception for JPackage

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu Feb 1 07:48:38 UTC 2007

On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 08:39:38AM +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-02-01 at 07:30 +0100, Axel Thimm wrote:

> > > Then you might be able to explain why
> > > * compatibility to packages from a 3rd party repo such as jpackage are
> > > of any importance to Fedora.
> > >
> > > Except that people ARE mixing jpp-packages with Fedora, just like they
> > > do with freshrpms, atrpms, livna, dribble and many others I don't see
> > > any difference.
> >
> > I don't think it's bad that Fedora cares about compatibility with 3rd
> > party repos,
> Neither do I.
>
> >  in fact I wish that this kind of mutual cooperation
> > rather extends.
>
> Exactly this is the point, I am asking: Why explicitly care about jpp?

OK, sorry I misunderstood you completely, I read your comments like
criticism for cooperation.

I can only guess about why jpp is treated "better" than other repos:

o one needs to start somewhere
o java is a key technology also required for RHEL, so there is vital
  interest in RH for it.
o less patent encumbered/closed source parts than other repos
o good quality packaging

If I didn't knew better I'd add

o good cooperation with the 3rd party maintainers

but according to some of Jesse's comments this seems to be less the
case (or was, it may have improved since).
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net