[Fedora-packaging] Re: Exception for JPackage

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Feb 1 12:30:41 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-01 at 10:52 +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le Jeu 1 février 2007 10:21, Ralf Corsepius a écrit :
>
> > a) Accepting it would mean catering a pragmatical compromise, which
> > isn't necessarily in the Fedora community's long-term interests and
> > which might weaken OpenSource in longer terms.
>
> Could the Don Quichottes that are objecting to peaceful jpp cooperation
> provide documented examples when working with jpp has been harmful to
> Fedora (aside from the "harm" of three letters in versions?)
>
> Could we have more concrete arguments than it "isn't necessarily in the
> Fedora community's long-term interests" ?
IMO, if Fedora was gradually approaching it's initial objectives, we
would have FLOSS java packages inside of FE and would not have to resort
to using jpp - That's why I was asking if Fedora was failing on java.

> Do you realise the only reason we have a packaged FLOSS java stack
> today
> (and not in two years) is it was bootstraped on closed jpp jvm packages ?

I do - But do you realize that the only reason I am able to run Fedora
in reasonable manners at all is using non-free packages from livna, jpp
and other sources?

It's the reason why I am all for implementing ways to allow better
integration of 3rd party repos. But pushing jpp into a special
exception, to me means "measuring by double standards".

> Is breaking ties with other entities for the sake of not having to think
> about them in the Fedora community's long-term interest?
What makes you think this? Firstly, I am not the FPC, I am just an
individual with an opinion, who happens to have a vote within the FPC.

And I hope to have been clear enough, on not having made up my mind, yet
but to be considering the trade-offs.

In a nutshell, the question is quite simple: Why should jpp put into a
special position and other 3rd parties be ignored, which (at least for
my way of using Fedora) are equally vitally important?

We would not have this discussion if Spot was "giving a deadline and was
talking about a transitional limited period of time" or if this all was
about "using jpp as precedence on 3rd party integration".

Or differently:
* Empower me with arguments why Fedora's java needs the jpp suffix?
* Empower me with arguments why jpp package can't be merge into Fedora?

Don't get me wrong, I am seriously asking and want to know.

Ralf