[Fedora-packaging] Re: Exception for JPackage

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Feb 1 13:12:21 UTC 2007

On Thursday 01 February 2007 02:39, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> Exactly this is the point, I am asking: Why explicitly care about jpp?

The reason we explicitly care about jpackage is because our (Red Hat's) java
folks do _all_ of their packaging upstream at jpackage, and just import the
results downstream within RHEL and Fedora.  This workflow allows them to
manage far more java packages than if they were to do it on their own within
RH/Fedora.  We would like to enable them to continue this, with jpackage
being the defacto standard for java packaging, we just import what they do as
other distributions can and do.

There isn't much that prevents other packagers from doing this with their
upstreams, so long as they adhere to the guidelines.  We had to create some
special cases for jpackage due to how their upstream works and a somewhat
unresolvable clash with our guidelines.  We'd rather not have to do this, but
in this case it seemed unavoidable.

Personally I don't like it, and I'll fight tooth/nail against any further
exceptions like this, but I did see the need for us to have java packages in
Fedora.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora