[Fedora-packaging] Draft: Perl packages don't need -devel for .h headers

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Tue Feb 6 07:58:27 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 06 February 2007 06:29, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> TC> Since perl is special, perl packages are exempt from the
> TC> requirement for -devel packages for .h header files.
>
> I'm definitely for for this, although I wish someone who truly
> understands why arch-specific Perl modules need a .h file could
> explain it to us.  For all I know it doesn't actually need to be
> packaged.

They're installed for the usual reasons - something requires them, usually at
build time.  See for example perl-DBI and perl-DBD-MySQL; the latter needs
DBI's *.h to build, ditto probably all other perl-DBD-*.

Rather than blanket approval for the status quo, I think it would be better to
first discuss whether -devel packages for some perl modules should be
introduced instead.