[Fedora-packaging] Re: Requires(post{, un}) on something in coreutils

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri Feb 9 22:30:34 UTC 2007

On Fri, Feb 09, 2007 at 11:54:46PM +0200, Ville Skyttä wrote:
> On Friday 09 February 2007 23:24, Axel Thimm wrote:
> >
> > Maybe we need a minimal assumed runtime environment just like we
> > define a minimal assumed build evironment? The definition of such a
> > beast would be the minimal set of packages that are needed to do
> > anything sensible, for example everything that is pulled in by
> > redhat-lsb (which includes coreutils).
>
> redhat-lsb is far from being a suitable package for this.  As an example,
> here's what "yum install redhat-lsb" would do to my very sensibly working,
> although admittedly quite trimmed down PVR running FC6:

>  libXrender              i386       0.9.1-3.1        core               27 k

Indeed, redhat-lsb does pull in a lot of crap, and thanks for going
into details to demonstrate this (it does make a difference whether s/o
explains his viewpoint or not ..., Ville get's all the karma points
this round ;).

Anyway the basic idea remains, we need something to define a very
basic run time environment which all packages (but some bootstraping
ones like glibc/setup/filesystem) may assume existing to not bloat the
dependencies. Perhaps that's just coreutils and its dependencies,
perhaps more.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net