[Fedora-packaging] Re: Re: Wrong buildroot ...

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Mon Feb 12 19:08:18 UTC 2007

Jesse Keating wrote :

> On Monday 12 February 2007 13:55, Rex Dieter wrote:
> > > #%buildroot
> > >
> > > If the packaging committee wanted to make a standard buildroot and
> > > enforce it have the build systems set %buildroot.
> >
> > We looked into that.  I recall there some serious implementation
> > problems with that method.
>
> Not to mention that this severely hurts our spec portability.

The later we postpone any major change, the longer we will be stuck
with "legacy" spec files. If this change had been made for Fedora Core
3 or 4, we could realistically be dealing with buildroot-less spec
files nowadays.
To be thinking _now_ about major cleanups that we could go forward with
by the time we hit Fedora _10_ doesn't seem that crazy to me.

I'd definitely like to have a look at the "new" rpm when I've got some
time in order to see how complicated any of these changes would be...

Oh, and if by "portability" you meant across to other distros, sure
it'll "hurt" it, but I don't think this has ever been regarded as an
important feature of Fedora packages, as they're initially only meant
for Fedora itself... and other distros could start doing the same as
us :-)

Matthias

Fedora Core release 6 (Zod) - Linux kernel 2.6.19-1.2895.fc6
Load : 2.12 1.68 1.43