[Fedora-packaging] Re: Firmware packaging

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue Feb 13 15:38:18 UTC 2007

On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 06:50:17AM +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> On 13.02.2007 03:55, Jon Masters wrote:
> >Bill Nottingham wrote:
> >>1) Firmware packages are given the Group: tag of System Environment/Kernel
> >>   (unless we want to make up a new 'Firmware' tag)
> >I think it's reasonable to keep them in the Kernel group.
>
> I disagree a small bit -- what if we for example start to ship Firmwares
> for Scanners? They depend on sane, and have nearly have nothing to do
> with the kernel...

Good catch. Perhaps the tag should be just a suggestion and the
packager should be able to use something else. Although, which entry in
/usr/share/doc/rpm-*/GROUPS might apply to a scanner firmware?

Perhaps firmware should get their own Group tag different from
/usr/share/doc/rpm-*/GROUPS. It would make them easy to filter out,
too, which was one of Bill's topics.

> But it's probably a corner case we maybe should simply ignore...

No, I think you made a good example, better to lay down a proper
layout now, than to reengineer it later.

--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net