[Fedora-packaging] Firmware packaging

Jon Masters jcm at redhat.com
Tue Feb 13 17:32:26 UTC 2007

Matt Domsch wrote:

> in other words, from a manufacturer's perspective, disk space is less
> expensive than flash, because the customer pays for the disk, where
> you pay for the flash. :-)

Yup.

There are exceptions to this of course. I used to build NMR (MRI)
systems running Linux on custom FPGA platforms we "flashed" via a
SystemAce (a magic device from Xilinx - a CompactFlash reader device to
Linux, a hardware programmer at other times) that we could use to say
"hey, let's redefine the entire hardware platform, replace the firmware,
and the kernel and the userland" in one operation...takes...guts.

Jon.