[Fedora-packaging] Re: Draft: Perl packages don't need -devel for .h headers

Chris Weyl cweyl at alumni.drew.edu
Wed Feb 14 21:53:44 UTC 2007

On 2/6/07, Tom 'spot' Callaway <tcallawa at redhat.com> wrote:

> OK, being pedantic:
>
> - I can't make perl pass review unless I make a perl-devel
> OR
> - Perl needs an exception in the guidelines so it can pass review.
>
> Which one would people prefer for FC-7? At this point, I'm rather
> indifferent. :)

I'd suggest just codifying existing practice...  It has worked quite
well so far, and there doesn't seem to be a pressing _technical_
reason to change it.  (a la a .pc files potential to generate
additional deps in the package.)

Steve's point of "we can't just br: perl(Foo) anymore" is well taken,
and would seem to be a compelling reason to leave things as is.  We
would no longer be able to just say "this requires perl(foo) to build"
in all cases.

                          -Chris

--
Chris Weyl