[Fedora-packaging] Re: Source Url Guidelines

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Wed Feb 14 23:37:04 UTC 2007

On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 06:30:43PM -0500, Todd Zullinger wrote:
> Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 22:57 +0100, Axel Thimm wrote:
> >> Looks OK. But since we're commenting on source origin could
> >> somewhere a kind request ("SHOULD") to (srpm-)package upstream
> >> sources/patches with original timestamps where possible be
> >> embedded?
> >
> > That sounds like a good best practice.  It sounds like a separate
> > item the way things are currently phrased.  Do you have some wording
> > to fit it in, or do you just want to throw it in a separate
> > recommendation.
>
> Is this section from the packaging guidelines what you're after?
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#head-0239576e441f9ef53d175c4aec8c12868dffb5ab
>
> "When downloading sources, patches etc, consider using a client that
> preserves the upstream timestamps. For example wget -N or curl -R. To
> make the change global for wget, add this to your ~/.wgetrc:
> timestamping = on, and for curl, add to your ~/.curlrc: -R."

Indeed, thanks for pointing this out, Todd!

Toshio, forget my request then, unless you want to consolidate or
rearange parts of the guidelines talking about handling upstream
sources/patches.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net