[Fedora-packaging] Re: Re: Wrong buildroot ...

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Fri Feb 16 08:11:00 UTC 2007

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007, Matthias Saou wrote:

> Rex Dieter wrote :
>
>> Joe Orton wrote:
>>
>>> Standardising an inadequate workaround and
>>> having packagers go through fixing N hundred spec files to match seems
>>> like a waste of time.
>>
>> *sigh*.  One justification the FPC had used for mandating a standard
>> buildroot was to avoid the waste of time associated with endless debates on
>> mailing lists and package reviews.  So much for that plan.  (:
>
> The "standard" buildroot plan is a good plan, as long as the goal
> involves ripping it out from all spec files once and for all (i.e. have
> a sane default set for rpmbuild).
>
> I keep repeating this, sorry, but am I the only one who'd like to see
> all useless and repetitive stuff taken out of spec files?
> - BuildRoot
> - The "-q" to %setup
> - BuildRoot cleanup when %install and %clean start
> - %defattr(-,root,root,-) or %defattr(-,root,root,0755)

Heh, actually this last one item (cause of no-end stupid mistakes) has
actually already been fixed in RPM while we weren't looking. In
/usr/share/doc/rpm-*/CHANGES:

4.3.3 -> 4.4:
         - silently add default %defattr(-,root,root) for all packages.

And that indeed seems to be the case. One check-item less in the package
review procedure.

 	- Panu -