[Fedora-packaging] Re: Draft: Init Scripts

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Feb 20 13:33:40 UTC 2007

> On Monday 19 February 2007 22:31, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > Apart of this, a system is not unlikely not to boot up anymore or at
> > least not to work properly anymore when an update reverts a local bug
> > fix/customization.
>
> Alternatively it may not boot or work properly if your old init script is kept
> in place while a newer init script with different launch options is needed
> for the new binary.

In theory yes, in practice in most cases things are the other way round:
An old script continues to work unless things been deliberately changed
in incompatible ways.

Or conversely: An old script is likely to degrade, if things are being
changed deliberately.

> This is why configuration must be split from launch
> script.

I don't see this - Separate config files only restrict the user to what
a vendor wants him to restrict to and what the vendor has taken into
consideration.

It takes away the freedom of customization and takes away the freedom
extending init-scripts to what the vendor has not considered.

Why would this be useful? The user has chosen to customize, so it's the
user's responsibility to handle this situation - If you take away
%config you are simply erasing, killing his "carefully handcrafted
solution" to a real world problem. - I can't find this helpful.

Ralf