[Fedora-packaging] Re: Draft: Init Scripts

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Feb 20 14:29:27 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 20 February 2007 09:07, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> Let me ask differently: What is the problem you are trying to solve?
> I don't see any.

Inconsistency between configuration in an init file and
in /etc/sysconfig/<service>, executable config files, inability to get new
init scripts in place (blocked by .rpmnew), just to name a few.

> Files under /etc/* are defined as config files, therefore /etc/init.d
> are config-files by definition. This matches their history, matches
> tradition, matches common practice, is helpful to users and makes no
> difference to a vendor, and also makes no difference to the vast
> majority of users.

Yes, history is a hard thing to change.  However unless we want to end up like
Solaris, we need to be open to refinement to our system, and such refinement
could include pressure to stop configuration in an init script (which REALLY
should live outside of etc, but alas...) and instead push configuration
to /etc/sysconfig/<service>

> To the remaining minority of users it makes a substantial difference. It
> at least forces them to redesign their "customizations" because any
> update will trash their customizations.

Yep, sucks to be them, but we use Fedora to push new technology and new ways
of thinking.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora