[Fedora-packaging] Re: Stopping the mandatory buildroot insanity

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu Feb 22 20:21:38 UTC 2007

spot asked me to draft something in the wiki about pushing all
responsibility to (grown-up) packagers while still presenting a couple
of sane buildroots as a guideline.

The outcome is on http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/BuildRoot:

> [[Anchor(BuildRoot)]]
> == Build root tag ==
>
> The ''Build``Root'' MUST be below %{_tmppath} and MUST use %{name}, %{version} and %{release}. It also may make use of ''mktemp'' since this is guaranteed to exist on any system. Other than that packagers are free to use any sane ''Build``Root''.
>
> The ''recommended'' values for the ''Build``Root'' tag are (in descending order of preference)
> {{{
> %(mktemp -ud %{_tmppath}/%{name}-%{version}-%{release}-XXXXXX)
> %{_tmppath}/%{name}-%{version}-%{release}-root-%(%{__id_u} -n)
> %{_tmppath}/%{name}-%{version}-%{release}-root
> }}}

At one point, this was a mandatory value, but it is now left to the packager.

--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net