[Fedora-packaging] Re: Firmware packaging, v2

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri Feb 23 11:50:20 UTC 2007

On Fri, Feb 23, 2007 at 11:56:36AM +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> On 23.02.2007 11:35, Axel Thimm wrote:
> >>Sound like a nice idea to me.
> >>BTW, do we have a definite description of what a firmware is
> >does that fit?
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firmware
>
> Well, sure, but writing a single sentence like
>
> >>(and what not). Something like "A firmware is uploaded to the flash
> >>of a hardware device and executed there *and not* by the operating
> >>system on the host cpu"
>
> might be helpful without much work afaics. Especially the part "not
> executed by the operating system on the host cpu" -- that part it not
> that obvious in the wikipedia article, but important for us afaics.

We should just avoid excluding stuff like open/freebios which is open
source firmware executed on the CPU.

Anyway, kernel modules need signing off by fesco and there are far
less firmwares than kernel modules out there. How about having fesco
sign off firmwares, so we don't need to come up with too complex
definitions that will later need several adjustement steps etc.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net