[Fedora-packaging] Draft: Init Scripts

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Mon Feb 26 19:00:55 UTC 2007

Jesse Keating wrote :

> I'd still prefer that these files aren't marked as %config.  Perhaps a new
> init system will allow for us to place these files somewhere other than /etc
> and really drive the point home that these files are not for configuration.

Same here. Those are scripts, not config files... and marking them as
such encourages people to edit them, which is not a good idea, since
those files mostly contain code and not configuration, thus a later
version is much more likely to break. Not only because of changed
configuration options, but because of changed interaction between the
init script and what it runs (like renamed command line options for a
daemon it starts, running a daemon as root which drop privileges alone
or directly launching it as a user etc.).

At worst, I'd force new packages to _never_ mark them as %config and
leave existing packages with bits of config in their init script as they
are, clearly identifying them somewhere in the wiki if necessary, until
we switch to a new init system.

Matthias

Fedora Core release 6 (Zod) - Linux kernel 2.6.19-1.2895.fc6
Load : 0.44 0.25 0.19