[Fedora-packaging] Firmware packaging, v3

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Wed Feb 28 10:03:23 UTC 2007

Nicolas Mailhot wrote :

> Le mercredi 28 février 2007 à 07:31 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis a écrit :
> > On 27.02.2007 21:00, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> >  >
> > > - use <blah>-firmware naming
> > > [...]
> > > 2) Firmware packages should be named <foo>-firmware, where <foo> is the
> > >    driver or other hardware component that the firmware is for.
> >
> > I think it's totally confusing to have prefixes ( say
> > {gnome,python,perl,kde,xfce,kmod,whatever}-foo) everywhere else, but use
> > a postfix in this case. Sticking to one scheme would be nice.
>
> We're not having prefixes everywhere else, we have a huge postfix use.
> So far prefixes are mostly used to group different bits of the same
> thing while postfixes are more a categorisation, so firmware fits there
> nicely

Yup. Think -devel, -libs, and also check what Ville already answered
about this : "Usually roughly foo-bar: 'bar' for 'foo'", which I agree
to and makes me prefer having "firmware" as the suffix.

All of Bill's proposal looks fine to me.

Matthias

Fedora Core release 6 (Zod) - Linux kernel 2.6.19-1.2895.fc6
Load : 0.18 0.16 0.17