[Fedora-packaging] Re: Exception for JPackage

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Feb 1 09:21:35 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-01 at 08:48 +0100, Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 08:39:38AM +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> > > I don't think it's bad that Fedora cares about compatibility with 3rd
> > > party repos,
> > Neither do I.
> >
> > >  in fact I wish that this kind of mutual cooperation
> > > rather extends.
> >
> > Exactly this is the point, I am asking: Why explicitly care about jpp?
>
> OK, sorry I misunderstood you completely, I read your comments like
> criticism for cooperation.
Let me put it this way:

To me, it is a bit bewildering to see a project initially being launched
as "integration platform for 3rd parties" to explicitly take one of its
"rivals" into consideration as a "special exception" that someone
labeled "forever, ... amen".

If "Fedora integration" really works out, then we should see "integrated
packages" and external 3rd party providing add-on packages, which should
be treated as private pleasures of those implementing it.

If Fedora wants to take external repos into account, then I'd prefer not
to see a singular exception for jpp, but generally applicable rules.
Unfortunately, I don't see how this can be implemented nor am I
expecting much interest from inside Fedora to address this any time
soon.

> I can only guess about why jpp is treated "better" than other repos:
>
> o one needs to start somewhere
> o java is a key technology also required for RHEL, so there is vital
>   interest in RH for it.
Probably, only somebody @redcom.com can answer this, but I would not
deny this thought.

> o less patent encumbered/closed source parts than other repos
Patents yes.

Wrt. "non-free" I don't see that jpp is substantially different from how
livna and other 3rd parties shipping "non-free"/non-OSI compliant
package.

Wrt. voting, I am undecided, because, to me, the proposal boils down to
deciding between two "mediocre compromises":

a) Accepting it would mean catering a pragmatical compromise, which
isn't necessarily in the Fedora community's long-term interests and
which might weaken OpenSource in longer terms.

b) Rejecting it would mean insisting on a position that isn't
necessarily in RH's nor Fedora's interest wrt. java, technically is
hardly resolvable, but would help the "wider community" (3rd parties).

I would have voted +1 if I'd sense this proposal to be a short-term
compromise and precedence aiming at systematic integration of 3rd
parties. Spot's comment lets me think this doesn't apply.

Ralf