[Fedora-packaging] Re: Exception for JPackage

Tom 'spot' Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Thu Feb 1 21:08:56 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-01 at 10:21 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> Wrt. voting, I am undecided, because, to me, the proposal boils down to
> deciding between two "mediocre compromises":
>
> a) Accepting it would mean catering a pragmatical compromise, which
> isn't necessarily in the Fedora community's long-term interests and
> which might weaken OpenSource in longer terms.
>
> b) Rejecting it would mean insisting on a position that isn't
> necessarily in RH's nor Fedora's interest wrt. java, technically is
> hardly resolvable, but would help the "wider community" (3rd parties).
>
> I would have voted +1 if I'd sense this proposal to be a short-term
> compromise and precedence aiming at systematic integration of 3rd
> parties. Spot's comment lets me think this doesn't apply.

I am treating this very much as a compromise with limited scope aiming
at assisting in the integration and compatibility with 3rd party
repositories. However, in order to limit the scope, it is currently only
valid for JPackage. If another repo comes forward which would wish to
leverage the same guideline set, I'm more than willing to amend it for
them.

~spot