[Fedora-packaging] Re: Draft: Perl packages don't need -devel for .h headers

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Tue Feb 6 20:49:42 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 06 February 2007 21:35, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:

> Well, I'm trying to review the core perl package, and part of that has
> been a near total spec rewrite. I need to know whether I should add a
> perl-devel or not.

I still haven't formed an opinion, but here's some numbers from i386 FC6:

$ du -hc `rpm -ql perl` | tail -n 1
237M    total

$ du -hc `rpm -ql perl | grep '\.h$'` | tail -n 1
1.6M    total

Not that significant.  Also, I haven't checked but would guess that *.h don't
inflict any extra dependencies.  There's also a bunch of *.ph files which I
gather are _mostly_ for development purposes but some modules do pull some of
them in at runtime (eg. Net::Domain, Sys::Hostname) so I suppose it's safer
to leave at least *.ph alone unless someone knows better.