[Fedora-packaging] Firmware packaging
notting at redhat.com
Tue Feb 13 01:52:58 UTC 2007
We did some discussion at the board meeting last week about firmware images,
such as that used for ipw2200. The decision was made that we're OK with shipping
these firmware images based on the guidelines currently in the packaging
* The files are non-executable (note: this means that the files cannot run
on their own, not that they are just chmod -x)
* The files are not libraries.
* The files are standalone, not embedded in executable or library code.
* Explicit permission is given by the owner to freely redistribute without
restrictions (this permission must be included, in "writing", with the
files in the packaging)
* The files must be necessary for the functionality of open source code
being included in Fedora.
However, these packages will not be (in many cases) fully open source - while
they're distributable, the licenses do not permit modification, reverse
engineering, etc. So we want to make sure that these packages are easily
1) Firmware packages are given the Group: tag of System Environment/Kernel
(unless we want to make up a new 'Firmware' tag)
2) The License tag for any firmware that disallows modification should
be set to:
"Redistributable firmware, no modification permitted"
Comments? Note that there is other firmware (zd* USB devices, etc) that
is under GPL and wouldn't need this license tag.
More information about the Fedora-packaging