[Fedora-packaging] Firmware packaging

Jon Masters jcm at redhat.com
Tue Feb 13 02:55:53 UTC 2007

Bill Nottingham wrote:

> 1) Firmware packages are given the Group: tag of System Environment/Kernel
>    (unless we want to make up a new 'Firmware' tag)

I think it's reasonable to keep them in the Kernel group.

> 2) The License tag for any firmware that disallows modification should
>    be set to:
>
> "Redistributable firmware, no modification permitted"

Reasonable also.

> Comments? Note that there is other firmware (zd* USB devices, etc) that
> is under GPL and wouldn't need this license tag.

I'm modifying upstream module-init-tools so we can additionally pick up
firmware dependency information from modules using modinfo. This will
allow us to build initrd images with the correct firmware files inside
without including a bazillion optional firmware files for good measure.

Actually, the upstream kernel has only 2 drivers currently using the
MODULE_FIRMWARE tag needed so we'll want to encourage that. I told
Jeremy the other day that I'm not so worried about ipw2200 because - to
be honest - the idea of someone doing a bootpath iSCSI install over IPW
makes me want to put my fingers in my ears and sing "la..la..la". But if
you've got pet drivers that need "fixing" upstream, now's the time...

Jon.