[Fedora-packaging] BuildRoot and mktemp -d

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Tue Feb 13 23:37:31 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 14 February 2007, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Ville Skyttä wrote:
> > Using mktemp -d in specfiles' BuildRoot means that quite a few stray temp
> > dirs will start to appear in %{_tmppath}.  For example "rpm -q --specfile
> > foo.spec" and "rpmbuild -bs foo.spec" create them, and nothing cleans
> > them up (no, tmpwatch doesn't count) - we probably don't want that.
>
> Isn't that what %clean is for?

%clean is not run with eg. "rpm -q --specfile" nor "rpm -bs".  And it's not
even possible to pass --clean to the former, and passing it to the latter
does not clean up the created temp dir either - it doesn't run the
actual %clean scriptlet from the specfile.

> > One way to avoid it is mktemp -ud, but it's more racy than plain -d.
>
> I doubt this would work.

Why not?  Seems to work fine here in the few tests I've done.