[Fedora-packaging] Source Url Guidelines

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Wed Feb 14 22:06:28 UTC 2007

On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 01:45:25PM -0800, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Here's my first draft of a SourceURL guideline.  This tries to

Overall it looks good to me. I see 2 other situations that may be worth
mentionning:

1. the tarball was found on a regular site, kept in a srpm, or a disk drive,
  a mirror, the lookaside cache or whatever place, and afterwards the
  initial download source disappeared. It is similar than the "we are
  upstream" case but not exactly the same. The fedora maintainer should
  maintain the package in that case, that is fix bugs and so on but
  without being upstream, only in the fedora cvs (with patches). These
  packages may be on the road to retirement, but not necessarily,
  especially when these are old, stable, and little packages.

2. sometimes upstream don't have a properly versioned tarball. In that
  case it should be asked to upstream to version properly, but it is
  not always possible. I think that the rule for those cases should be
  to provide the full url in a comment, and add a version to the tarball
  based, for example on the timestamp of the file (but not necessarily).
  For example:

# Source1 is only used for documentation
# renamed to tex4ht-all-YYYYMMDD.zip - based on last timestamp in
# directory
Source1: tex4ht-all-20050228.zip
# unversioned upstream source, downloaded with wget -N
#Source1 http://www.cse.ohio-state.edu/~gurari/TeX4ht/tex4ht-all.zip

--
Pat