[Fedora-packaging] Re: Draft: Init Scripts

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Mon Feb 19 18:05:39 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-19 at 18:47 +0100, Axel Thimm wrote:

> > > That's why I suggested %prein
> >
> > I think we're talking past each other. AFAIK, it will get successfully
> > saved as .rpmsave *without* any %pre magic.
>
> Indeed, my issue is to have the upgrade do something with the existing
> configuration in some scripts, not simply archive away the user's
> config into an .rpmsave file. The upgrade would break on the user and
> leave him fiddle out where his config has vanished to.

IMO, the logic should be: Do not replace /etc/init.d scripts a user had
altered, only replace those without changes.
=> %config(noreplace)

Normal users will not notice anything, users customizing init-scripts
will have to "know what they are doing".

> Perhaps it become clearer if we find such a package and discuss what
> we'd like an upgrade to perform.

E.g. customizing/fixing init priorities, buggy init-scripts with local
bug-fixes applied, ...

Theoretically, such things should not exist, but things happen ...

Ralf