[Fedora-packaging] Scripts around rpm

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Thu Feb 22 17:59:38 UTC 2007

Wart schrieb:
> Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>>>
>>> Why would you look for them at all?  That's what tools are for.
>>> http://www.math.uh.edu/~tibbs/rpmchanges
>> I (and probably many others) have similar scripts. I'm wondering if we
>> should trow them together, put the best one into a package (¹) and ship
>> them in Fedora, so people don't have to reinvent the wheel over and over
>> again.
>
> Maybe I'm just being dense, but aren't these files easily found with:
>
> # updatedb
> # locate rpmsave
> # locate rpmnew

That IMHO becomes quite annoying quickly. Thus I wrote some functions
for my .bashrc that automate parts of the work -- I just uploaded them
to http://www.leemhuis.info/files/fedorarpms/MISC.fdr/rpmstuff

Not sure if the stuff is complete; Warning, the stuff is grown over time
and might delete all your data, kill kittens and so own. Further: there
are probably much better and cleaner ways to archive the goals than the
stuff I wrote. What my stuff does:

rpm_find_packages_with_corrupted_files
-> finds missing, corrupted files and config files that got changed

rpmcleanup-rpmnewfile and rpmcleanup-rpmnewfiles as well as
rpmcleanup-rpmsavefile and rpmcleanup-rpmsavefiles
-> process rpm{new,save} files; if the md5sum is identical move the
rpmnew file over for example; otherwise show a diff, ask user what to do
(for example run meld to merge the files)

rpm_find_problems
-> run some of above test as well as some stuff from rpmdevtools and
yum-utils

I'm sure most of us have other scripts for the same and different
problems. So it might be a good idea to just find the best ones for
particular problems and package them up, so the problem get solved once
and for all.

CU
thl