[Fedora-packaging] Firmware packaging, v2

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Mon Feb 26 17:33:10 UTC 2007

Bill Nottingham wrote :

> Just a minor edit to the previous proposal.
>
> I'd like the firmware section of the packaging guidelines modified
> to add:
>
> 1) Firmware packages are given the Group: tag of Firmware
>
> 2) The License tag for any firmware that disallows modification should
>    be set to:
>
>    "Redistributable firmware, no modification permitted"
>
> I'd write something for the PackagingDrafts, but it's locked down.
> Can we get this approved?

I just caught up on the entire discussion... here's my own POV :
- I don't really care about the License nor Group tags content.
- The "firmware-" prefixing idea isn't bad, although "-firmware"
postfixing sort of like "-libs" or "-devel" follows normal sentences
some more ("the foo firmware" -> foo-firmware), so I'd tend to prefer
that.

Just another question : Intel has named its latest released file a
"microcode"... is there any major difference with what "firmware"
refers to? (I don't really know) If not, or not much, "firmware"
definitely still makes more sense, especially given the install
location of the files... /lib/firmware/ :-)

Matthias

Fedora Core release 6 (Zod) - Linux kernel 2.6.19-1.2895.fc6
Load : 0.07 0.10 0.17