[Fedora-packaging] Tcl packaging guidelines proposal

Michael Thomas wart at kobold.org
Mon Feb 26 22:27:31 UTC 2007

Sander Hoentjen wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-02-26 at 20:13 +0100, Matthias Saou wrote:
>> Michael Thomas wrote :
>>
>>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/Tcl
>> Quick comment : You should add the "= %{version}-%{release}" to the
>> "Provides:" in your document.
>>
>> Otherwise, Tcl seems completely broken when it comes to multilib... [1]
>> and you seem to be aware of the major issues as the TODO section shows.
>> But it contains tasks so critical that I wouldn't bother trying to push
>> these packaging rules forward until they are taken care of. For
>> instance, replacing the "/usr/lib/tcl8.4 -> /usr/share/tcl8.4"
>> symlink with a real directory is... errr... pretty much impossible for
>> rpm to do. You might be able to hack around it, but it'll be ugly.
>
> I thought about it and it might be best if this was done during the move
> to 8.5. That way you don't really have to deal with it, the first 8.5
> package just has to use the new way.

Yes, the 8.5 upgrade might be the best time to make the change with the
link.  The other two items above it in the list in the guidelines can
still be done pre-8.5, though, and would allow existing extensions to be
migrated to these new guidelines ahead of the 8.5 release.

It would be nice to do the upgrade to 8.5 before F7, but upstream is not
very responsive on giving updated estimates on the final 8.5 release
date.  :(

--Wart