[Fedora-packaging] Re: Re: iconcache, v0.5

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Mon Jan 1 14:34:17 UTC 2007

On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 08:14:35 -0600, Rex Dieter wrote:

> Michael Schwendt wrote:

> >> Running gtk-update-icon-cache is *not* the *only* way to see new icons.
> >> touch'ing the top-level icon dir is (should be!) sufficient for that.
> >>

> > Yes, but it's a _manual operation_, because the last-modified time-stamp
> > of that directory is not updated when a sub-directory is changed. And
> > gtk-update-icon-cache doesn't do anything unless the top-level directory
> > has changed (or is touched!). Hence running this stuff manually cannot be
> > avoided so far.
> No one has ever suggested that 'touch' could be avoided.  I don't think
> it can, the icon spec requires it.
> My point was that only 'touch' is required for proper function.
> Contrary to what it appeared (to me anyway) you were asserting,
> gtk-update-icon-cache is not required for proper function, being nothing
> more than an optimization (akin to prelink).

I've put it inaccurately, yes, and refer to the scriptlet in the Wiki.
Let me rephrase: Only the non-trivial combination of touch plus
gtk-update-icon-cache (or only gtk-update-icon-cache --force) updates the
cache. And if a post-install scriptlet must be added anyway to touch a
directory, running a second program in the same shell script is an obvious
thing to do.