[Fedora-packaging] Java (jpackage) naming scheme rehash -- part 1 Goals

Fernando Nasser fnasser at redhat.com
Fri Jan 12 15:38:44 UTC 2007

Jesse Keating wrote:

> What about cases where we need to rebuild the package internally for a mass
> rebuild, a java change or whatnot?  Especially if it doesn't line up with a
> rebuild upstream, do we just have to convince jpackage to do a spurious
> rebuild?

Why?  We have our release number.

We already do this now:   ......3jpp.1  in FC6 with a rebuild becomes
.....3jpp.2  and the scripts do this automatically using the jpp as
delimeter.

> Otherwise, we're going to bump and build within our CVS, then next
> time you import an srpm from upstream, you'll stomp on any changes we've
> made.

We have been doing this for a few years now, it was never any problem.
Now that the spec files are the same upstream we do an import and spend
1 minute or 2 with vimdiff to merge changelog entries and adjust the
release tag.

It is been very easy for us (Java team) and we are very happy with this
process.