[Fedora-packaging] Java (jpackage) naming scheme rehash -- part 1 Goals

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 22:25:12 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-12 at 14:58 -0600, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-01-12 at 15:55 -0500, Matt Wringe wrote:
>
> > I would have to disagree, these are not Fedora packages in a Fedora
> > repository, but rather jpp packages in a Fedora repository. This is
> > exactly the distinction we want to make by including the 'jpp'.
>
> I think this is a point on which I would firmly disagree. If it is part
> of Fedora, then it is a Fedora package.

+1

I want to address the issues you guys have trying to make it easy to
sync packages between jpackage and Fedora but the idea that a package in
our repository is actually a jpackage package is just plain wrong.
jpackage is a cross-distro repository, Fedora is a distro.  The goals
are different.  The requirements of each are different.  The packages
can largely be the same, but once in a while there will be things that
require local customization.  We don't just ship upstream jpackage.  We
value add and integrate them with Fedora specifics where appropriate.

-Toshio