[Fedora-packaging] Java (jpackage) naming scheme rehash -- part 1 Goals

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Sat Jan 13 10:11:16 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-12 at 21:45 -0500, Vivek Lakshmanan wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-01-12 at 16:01 -0600, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:
> > Given that we cannot solve the grouping issues currently, I think now we
> > can make a special exception for the jpp packages (and ONLY the jpp
> > packages), where they can continue to use the jpp tag in Fedora until we
> > solve the grouping problem. When we have a workable alternative, then we
> > will drop the jpp tag from use in Fedora.
> >
> I think this is an excellent compromise. Has something been set in
> motion regarding grouping already? If so, a link or two would be much
> appreciated...

There's this extremely uncooked page on the wiki:
http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/SIGs/Comps/PackageGroupEnhancements

It's mostly a summary of one thread that occurred a few months back.
The basics are that the we want to deprecate the Group tag in the spec
file but need to replace it with something.  comps.xml can replace some
uses of the Group tag but jeremy thinks that the design of comps won't
lend itself to replacing Groups.  An alternate format was put forth by
Nicolas Mailhot which separated out categories and groups - Packagers
can tag their packages with a variety of categories.  Release creators
can create a profile with groups that select categories and individual
packages.

I'm currently working on the package db and am planning on adding the
ability to store category information in there.  (It's not in the
current db schema.  If someone wants to work on adding it contact me.)
Most tools aren't going to want to talk to the package db in order to
retrieve this information, though, so at some point we'll have to decide
how to pull the information out of the database for tools like yum to
consume (a comps file, Nicolas's file format, etc.)

-Toshio