[Fedora-packaging] Re: LibtoolArchives, v0.3

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Wed Jan 17 16:06:28 UTC 2007

On Wed, Jan 17, 2007 at 09:56:44AM -0600, Rex Dieter wrote:
> AFAIK, the only unknown up to this point was kde, which I've found it is
> fixable (runtime, at least).  I'm aware of no other cases where .la
> files are required for runtime function.

That's the main issue: Issuing packaging guidelines per package
(groups) is wrong, some day some other package (group) will suddenly
require the same handling and we're busted again. Or something
different will come up, after all removing *.la diles is not an
upstream action, but ours.

E.g. what we're doing is papering over some issues we are creating and
praying for not being caught by the next one. Makes me think whether
what we think was fixed (a couple of dependencies less) was worth
while, or whether we're just killing ourselves for being overzealous
(which is not meant against Rex in any way, he's just trying to
provide the best solution for the given situation).

My proposal is to allow *.la files to live and kindly divert people
crying too loud about it to assist upstream in fixing the
issues. Don't forget that there are already patches for dealing with
95% of our issues available.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net